Thursday, November 11, 2010

Overweight riders and horse owners.


This is a topic that is debated to an extreme. Probably mostly between normal/underweight riders and overweight riders- whatever you are, that's the side you are on. There is not much in between.

I'm not at an ideal weight, but around 150 at 5'8", but I am not overweight, and have a horse that I feel "fits me." I also run, and workout every week so I can stay at a lower weight for my horse.

For the heavy rider looking to find a horse, conformation is key. From Equisearch.com;
 "A well proportioned horse, with a short back, well-coupled on to the hind quarters and straight, sturdy legs should have no trouble carrying a heavier rider."
A good rule of thumb that I find extremely true is that you should be 20% or less of your horses weight when they are at optimal health.  This rule does not apply to for example, a 14.2 hand horse that is overweight. The horse should be at his healthy weight when you calculate this. My horse is 1100 pounds- so I could weigh up to 220 pounds with this rule and still not be causing my horse to be carrying more then his body would probably strain to do.
Balance is something that heavy riders also struggle with versus their thinner counterparts. If the rider is off balance, this can create pain for a horse. Now, there are quite a few skinny riders out there banging around on horses backs and causing problems and alot of overweight riders out there that look Divine on a horse. It all comes down to your riding ability.

Now where does The Snob really stand?

I think this is the problem with overweight riders that makes me want to scream:


Now that was an extreme situation, but one i see A LOT of at shows. I don't think if you are over 260 pounds you should be getting on anything but a draft horse, draft cross or large stocky equine such as a warm blood or large saddle bred or walker.

Think about the equation from above. What healthy maintained weight would the horse have to be to comfortably carry a 260 pound rider? 1300 pounds. That's a big horse.

 I don't think it is fair. Even a stocky quarter horse, or a tall Thoroughbred is going to feel your weight after an hour in the saddle. Why is it fair for the horse to have to work harder with you on his back, when you go home and eat whatever the hell you want, and don't exercise? I don't get to eat everything I would love to, but that's because I OWN A HORSE. Its not right for him to have to carry that extra cheeseburger and fries.

Another example: Why is it okay that this rider thinks her horse should have to learn to jump with her on his back? Even if this is a stocky horse, if your ass is almost wider then the horse, then you probably should not be riding it. REALLY NOT thinking of jumping it.

 

I am not a skinny rider. Once again, I should be at a better weight- but I still keep myself in check. If you are over 250 pounds, you are NOT keeping yourself in check- you are a fuller filly. There is NOTHING wrong with that. I think fuller can women are Gorgeous! Check these babes out-

 








BUT- in terms of jumping on a horses back, its not about what you look like, its all about the weight. If you want to ride horses, then drop the pounds or get a horse that will not mind. If you don't want to, then don't ride. Simple as that.

What are some horses I would ride if I were heavy? I LOVE draft crosses. I think they can have a GREAT temperament, and that adorable draft head.

Check out this cute Hunter:
What a cute Belgian X. Probably a great trail horse!
 

Think you can't go to a show with a draft? Or you can't do those Pleasure classes??
                                                 
                                                  This chick is probably beating a hell of a lot of QH's!
                                                  

                                                            Oh, they can jump too!!


Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they should have to give up their passion. They do however, have to realize that they ARE overweight. It's not the horses fault, and the horse shouldn't have to end up with a sour back because of their pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment